Benefits over a traditional conservatory
- Better Insulation - Because of the level of insulation in these type of roofs the performance via heat loss and UV protection is far greater than glass or poly carbonate. This makes them usable all year round with the need for extra heating or air conditioning
- The Sun - This sounds obvious but have you ever tried to eat dinner or watch TV with the sun in your eyes, it can make a nice conservatory useless for a large part of the day.
Benefits over a traditional extension
- Speed - A Solid Roof conservatory can be retrofitted or installed on a new structure in a fraction of the time of a traditional roof.
- Cost - Because most roofs are prefabricated prior to delivery to site, they can be 40% cheaper than a traditional extension roof.
- Conversion - Standard conservatory frames could not take the weight of a traditional roof, therefor converting an old conservatory to a usable room would mean complete removal and rebuild of the support structure underneath.
- Hybrid Roof - Most of these new types of roof system allow for part solid room and part glass which can result in some very nice room designs.
Construction of a Solid Tiled Roof
The construction and makeup of most of these types of roof are very similar. They consist of an aluminuium ring beam, aluminuium rafters to make up the shell of the roof, These are then in filled with high performing insulation such as celotex or Kingspan. On the outside this is then covered with a damp proofing such as felt and covered with a tile substitute either in the form of full sheets or plastic tiles layered in exactly the same way as traditional slate tiles. On the inside the insulation is covered with plasterboard and plastered, this allows it to be painted and even fitted withCost and time scales of a Solid Conservatory Roof
The cost of solid roofs can vary wildly depending of the system you choose and who is installing it but prices start from as little as £500 a Sq meter going up to £1500 a square meter. This is for removal of an existing roof and erection using the existing side walls, for a complete structure the price will be allot more. Also remember some very old conservatory window frames will not be able to take the weight of these so some reinforcement may be required. down lighters.